Noilly Prattle: Early Spring...or how I discovered beer

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Early Spring...or how I discovered beer


Spring

We are approaching the Spring Equinox and the final days of our stay in Prague. The workaday world is snapping at our heels and I am feeling the pull of the *“rubber band”.


Although I will not be going back to the world of 9 to 5, I am beginning to sense the need to be actively, well, semi-actively, involved in the non-rocking chair world. I'm thinking the potty training world might be interesting on a part time basis. But that's another story. A little reluctantly, then, we will be leaving Prague at the end of the month, but in the meantime we are revisiting favorite old haunts as they begin to don their mantle of early spring and venturing farther out into the new Prague, the burgeoning suburbs of glass and steel and planes and angles and lots of kids. Although not a beer drinker as a rule, I, like just about everybody else in Prague, am getting to enjoy a brew after a long walk on a warm spring day. A few pictures should give an idea.


* “Rubber band” is my term for the transition time between time zones and faraway places on the planet. It happens both ways, coming and going, every time I get on a plane; but the sensation of not quite being in my skin yet is especially strong when I return to my home base after an extended stay away from it. It's feels like the body is there but the “soul” is still somewhere 33,000 feet up over the Pacific Ocean or the steppes of Russia or wherever on the other end of a rubber band that has yet to catch up or snap back into its proper place. Maybe this is really evidence of a soul! On the other hand it might just be a case of the morning after blues. But before I get all morbid and mystical, here are a few visual impressions of early spring, beer and the "burbs" here in Prague. The rubber band still has a little more stretch; the blues will just have to wait a bit.  




















New Prague

























































Beer







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, your photos perfectly show that spring has sprung. That last photo of Akiko looking, lovingly, at the glass of beer is the BEST.

Here's to 'rubber bands'.

Still tired, still don't know where I am.

Noilly Prattle said...

Welcome back. Don't worry, this too will pass.