Noilly Prattle: Been away....

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Been away....

....haven't seen you in a while. How've you been? 

Straight rip off from a Dave Mason song, herewith acknowledged, because these particular lyrics fit just right. *

     Not to put too fine a point it, I was in hospital for almost two weeks with a broken leg--the horror of horrors for any traveler. I was just discharged this morning.

       I toppled over while doing one of my yoga exercises, balancing on one foot, hands in praying position. Lost my balance and missed the post that I use to grab in just such an event. Landed squarely on the femur near the angle where it connects to the ball and socket joint to the left hip--writhing in pain, shock and disbelief, my whole skeleton buzzing and vibrating. (I did the same thing, albeit not while doing yoga, half a lifetime ago and spent three months in hospital in traction; my arm was broken as well in that fall.)

       Spent an agonizing day first in denial: "I can move it so it can't be broken," trying to stand but impossible, crawling to the sofa to hoist myself off the floor. Trying to walk again to the bathroom with road buddy's help, but that proved excruciatingly difficult. Coming out of the bathroom, felt dizzy and faint, and slid down the wall back on the floor whimpering and whining out of control. Road buddy tried to help me stand up again but, couldn't be done. I literally dragged my butt with my hands about 30 ft. back to the sofa and managed to pull myself back up onto it.

       At that point there was no more denial possible, I knew it was broken and needed immediate medical attention. The next several hours were spent on the phone to our travel insurance company until, finally, we made them understand that I couldn't walk and needed an ambulance to take me to the emergency room. After interminable hours of waiting and anxiety a doctor finally arrived at our old apartment at about 8 p.m. and confirmed that the femur was fractured. She called an ambulance service and they soon arrived and carried me out to the ambulance barely dressed for the cold, planked me in the courtyard freezing and shivering and just about out of my head. Finally, they got me into the ambulance and to a hospital emergency room not too far from our apartment. I was interviewed, examined, x-rayed, set up to receive a drip infusion and scheduled for surgery the following morning to implant titanium rods and screws to reset the bone and allow me to begin rehabilitation the second day after the surgery.

      And that's why I've been away, in case anybody noticed.....

      Of course, I didn't have the presence of mind to bring my camera, which is breaking down anyway. I did do a little very rough sketch of my roommate the other day. This gentleman seems to have had some kind of hip surgery, but just lay in bed all day either dozing or staring at the boob toob that was on from morning to night. He was able to walk with crutches, I saw him do it, but seemed unmotivated if not, in fact, unable. Rehab is hard. You have to exercise and practice walking or the legs will lose muscle tone and begin to atrophy. I worked hard and made sufficient progress to be released today. We've moved to a new apartment with an elevator. Not as charming as our old convent digs, but practicality overruled esthetics this time. The new place is a loft, 1-bedroom, brighter than the old place.

* We Just Disagree
   Dave Mason


Anonymous said...

OH NO, Joe…say it isn't so.

Just sent you an e-mail.

Love the weird off kilter photo montage of you in this piece and you are quite an artist, as well. How did you do them both? The drawing looks like that paper that the kids would use to scratch the black off and the color would be under it.

oxox Ronnie

Noilly Prattle said...

Oh, YES!

It is so!

When it rains it pours. If I were superstitious I think I'd start throwing salt over my shoulder by the fistful.

The sketch was done very crudely with what I had at my disposal--the back of a brochure and a ball point pen. The other treatments were done with that freebee graphics program I mentioned a while back.

Yeah, it looks like an etching, but isn't. The white on black gave me the tone I was looking for. It's the view from my bed in our room. The superimposed image is done by the same program.

Anonymous said...

Well that is some sucky luck! You should stick to art and stay away from the acrobatics for a bit. Also, I might try the salt thing, couldn't hurt!

The femur is a big bone! I can't imagine how painful that must have been. A broken femur can cause a lot of bleeding too so I'm glad you didn't delay treatment for too long.

Glad to hear you're back on your feet, so to speak, and I hope you will be able to go to some shows soon.

Take care of yourself and, for goodness sakes, BE CAREFUL!!!


Linda said...

Yoga, huh?! I guess I need to be more careful when I do my yoga practice. I did notice that you were away and wondered if I had missed something. Evidently I hadn't. Hope you start having some fun soon:-)

Noilly Prattle said...

Thanks Linda. I'm hoping to go out to the opera tonight. After two horrendously boring, although secure two weeks in hospital, that should be more "fun" than I can handle. ;-)